Monday, May 28, 2012

Retirement Party


My retirement party was on May 16, 2012 at The Fireside in Rosemount , Minnesota.  Friends from GT, Oak Ridge and Diamond Path organized an event that has to be the gold standard for future parties, as far as food, décor and fun.  Jen, Pam, Julie, Michelle and Laura were the planners and they thought of everything. I can never thank them enough for making the evening one I will relive for years to come. About 80 friends attended, including people from both of my schools and GT, as well as other friends I have made through the years--too many to name. I was surprised and honored to see so many there.  Both of my sons came, Matthew from Uptown and Mark flying in from California.  My friend Jerry drove down from northern Minnesota.

Jen and I at Brainerd for the MEGT Conference.
Jen was central to the planning and organizing. On the surface, Jen and I are an unlikely duo.  Jen is organized, young, on the cutting edge of fashion and dislikes PDA with anyone.  I am disorganized, not-so-young, not-so-fashionable and a huge hugger. Still, she and I bonded early on in the GT/YS world, have worked together, learned together and played together, and have become fast friends.  She knows way too much about me and was kind enough not to reveal certain photos and certain facts at the party. Despite her advancing pregnancy, she worked on every aspect of the event including details such as the framed photos, the PowerPoint, the food, the lanterns, the memory book, and the program.  I can’t wait to see the videos she took.


Pam sharing her thoughts.
Pam also played a big role in the planning, arranging all those beautiful flowers and serving as the emcee. She has become a friend as well as the GT/YS TOSA. Her husband Mike put together the name badges with my photo on them. It was odd but fun seeing everyone wearing my photo.

 My neighbor Susie and her boyfriend Kenny took dozens of photos of the event (all of the party photos here) and Susie used my badge to take a bunch of "Where's Elaine" photos, putting the badge in flower pots, on menus, and many other creative spots.
Where's Elaine?
Kenny, Susie and friend Wendy










Then there were the songs and speeches. GT teachers wore boas to sing Candy's song and they gave me one to wear too, remembering the one I wore for John Currie's retirement party.  Many Oak Ridge folks sang Ann's version "Under the Tree" (to the tune of "Under the Sea"). During the song, I was given sunglasses and piles of books to read and Patty danced around me with the tree while they sang "Sipping a drink, reading a book, feeling so free." Julie J wrote another song that the Oak Ridge Choir sang.  Unusual for me to be listening rather than singing, and it was quite a treat!


GT teachers

"Under the Tree














Oak Ridge singers
Me, Nancy, Julie O, Mark and Matthew









Two former principals, Julie O and Lisa H spoke, their words infused with memories and humor. I was humbled and honored.  When my boys spoke, I felt happy and so proud.  Unbelievably, I didn't shed a single tear, although many of those present did.  I think I was just overwhelmed with the love and friendship. Then Michelle led the final song, a parody of the "Farewell" song from The Sound of Music, twirling me around at appropriate times.  We ended the evening with a couple of hours of karaoke with many of the attendees participating. My boys didn't even mind my singing my PMS song. It was the perfect party for me on so many levels and I will never forget it.  It is sort of hard to come down from the high I felt that evening. I know that my mom, brothers and extended family and other friends were there in spirit, and so was my dad.

   I have been blessed in so many ways, beginning with a wonderful family and a career that has spanned five decades from 1966 to 2012 and extended from Ohio to Illinois to western Nebraska to Iowa to Hong Kong with several stops in Minnesota, where I have spent the largest chunk of time.  Along the way, I have forged many friendships with amazing, interesting people and seen many fabulous places. No one is luckier!
Hugs after Lisa's speech

Me and Julie O










Maureen, Michelle and Kathy

Wendy, Alice, me, Susie, Kate, Lola
Matthew, me and Mark


Karaoke singers

1 comment:

  1. This makes me happy. :) No one is more deserving of such recognition!

    ReplyDelete